Saturday, March 24, 2012

Deploying AJAX Extension in to the BIN folder

I noticed thatAjaxControlToolkit.dll installed in the BIN folder of the website. I wonderedsystem.web.extensions.dllcan be in installed in BIN folder as well. Specifically in some cases like Share Hosting it is not possible to access GAC (Hosting company may not support it) and it would be great to be able to install it in BIN folder.


Is there any performance or security difference between AjaxControlToolkit.dlland system.web.extensions.dll? whyAjaxControlToolkit.dllcan sit in the BIN folder not the system.web.extensions.dll?

Thanks in advance.

The ASP.NET AJAX Docs state:

note

The installation process installs the ASP.NET AJAX assembly (System.Web.Extensions.dll) in the global assembly cache (GAC). Do not include the assembly in the Bin folder of your AJAX-enabled Web site.

Reference:http://www.asp.net/ajax/documentation/live/InstallingASPNETAJAX.aspx

With that stated I am not entirely sure why this note is there. Maybe someone with more inside knowledge than myself can explain further. I can say one of the webhost I use wants to chare me to install ASP.NET AJAX and I deployed the needed DLLs in my web bin and have not ran into issue to date.


I had the same impression about the DLL and I guess technically it should be possible to install it in the BIN folder. I will appreciate if some one from Microsoft or some one with deep knowladge in this area leave here a comment that why we should not put AJAX DLLs in the Bin folder.

No comments:

Post a Comment